At Apollo Health Clinic, we test men’s hormone levels using comprehensive state-of-the-art blood and urine hormone testing to assess and treat low testosterone levels in men, also known as hypogonadism or andropause.
When you have diagnosed with low testosterone this means your your testicles simply are not producing enough testosterone anymore. This can be nerve wracking for some men to admit, and yet it can occur at almost any age in the adult male. There can be several causes.
The benefits of restoring testosterone levels are clear, and supported by modern medical research to be both cardioprotective and neuroprotective for long-term health. (You must be signed up for our Essentials Program to be eligible for any prescription medications including testosterone. We do NOT just see patients for only 1-2 visits).
By replacing deficient levels of testosterone, adult males can feel more alert, energetic, mentally cognizant, and sexually functional. Most men come simply feel tired, lack the sexual energy, cardiovascular stamina and strength they had years before their health took a turn for the worst. However, without careful guidance and professional treatment, these patients may face higher risks of cardiac problems if administered low dose testosterone without proper guidance by a highly skilled physician in this sub-specialty of endocrinology. This is why all male patients are screened for cardiovascular disease risk biomarkers (internal link to Cardiovascular Disease page here) with a blood test prior beginning Testosterone Therapy at Apollo Health Clinic. Your safety will always comes first.
Why Dr. Samuel Madeira for your Male Hormone Health?
Dr. Madeira has seen over 4,300 male patients for hormone imbalance and low testosterone and adrenal hormone problems. He treats not only the low testosterone, but screens his patients for low thyroid, adrenal, and life saving advanced cardiovascular testing for his patients, and gastrointestinal health conditions as well as micronutrient deficiencies and mitochondrial health biomarkers. His aim is to find and treat the cause of your low hormone levels and he pledges not to stop working for you until every stone has been left over turned. His colleagues consult with him regularly for his clinical hormone health expertise. And frankly, his is approach is safe, effective, and you will get results.
The Medicine: Compounded Testosterone
Typically at Apollo Health Clinic, Dr. Madeira prescribes compounded testosterone cypionate or propionate, which are compounded in a licensed compounding pharmacy and injected intramuscularly in the gluteus medius or thighs or applied as a topical cream or gel. All testosterone prescribed at Apollo Health Clinic is bio-identical, meaning similar to your endogenous molecule of testosterone, and from a FDA 503B Registered PCAB Accredited compounding pharmacy, making it a safe and effective treatment.
Testosterone itself is anti-aging, anti-inflammatory, increases brain and heart health as well as sexual health, musculoskeletal health, and energy levels.
Signs of Low Testosterone in Men
- Depression / Anxiety
- Compromised self-confidence
- Trouble concentrating
- Disturbed sleep
- Lowered sex drive
- Difficulty sustaining or achieving an erection (erectile dysfunction)
- Use of viagra or levetra (past or present)
- Decreased muscle or bone mass
- Increased body fat
- Fatigue – decreased energy and endurance
- Flushing/hot flashes
- Swollen, tender, or enlarged breasts (gynecomastia)
- Lower work performance
- Decreased exercise or sports performance
- Joint Pains and Inflammation
Take this short quiz to find out if you have signs of low testosterone. (Please Insert yes or no boxes)
- Do you experience less enjoyment for your life than you did 6-12 months ago?
- Do you suffer from lower confidence?
- Is it hard to stay on task during the day?
- Do you wake up well rested? Do you have a hard time falling asleep or staying asleep?
- Do you have decreased interest in sex? Do you have sex less than 1 time per week?
- Is it difficult for you to sustain or achieve an erection?
- Have you taken Viagra or similar medications to achieve an erection recently?
- Are you suffering from Osteoporosis or osteopenia? Or frequent bone fractures?
- Are you struggling with weight loss and especially excess body fat or abdominal fat?
- Do you run out of energy before the day runs out? Can you function without caffeine during your busiest days?
- Do you ever have night sweats or hot flashes?
- Do you have tender or enlarged breasts?
- Are you unable to crush it at work?
- Are you too tired to exercise when you want to? Have you stopped going to the gym, or playing sports you used to enjoy?
- Do you fall asleep on your couch or bed after or before dinner?
The answer is, it could be. Together we will decide with the most advanced diagnostic testing what treatments are indicated, safest, and going to be most effective for your health and longevity. Andropause can happen for men at almost any adult age for a multiple reasons. After seeing thousands of men with low testosterone Dr. Madeira can say for a fact that men who have gone through puberty after 1980 consistently had lower testosterone than many men who were older. This is most likely because of the toxins in our environment, air, food, and water supply. With comprehensive intake, laboratory testing, and evaluation we will see what’s medically necessary for your complete health and longevity.
If you suffer from Type 2 Diabetes with two or more of the following symptoms mentioned in the testosterone quiz then you most likely have low testosterone, and should schedule a discovery call with Dr. Madeira.
How come my primary care medical doctor can’t do this?
Most family medical doctors do not know about the safety of testosterone therapy, and many urologists have been mislead by poor research designs dating back to 1941, which erroneously declared that testosterone therapy caused prostate cancer, when actually it was high estrogen levels in the body and their carcinogenic metabolites interacting with the specific estrogen hormone receptors that aid in the multifactorial cause of prostate cancer in men (it’s much more complicated than this but the receptors and the correct ratio of testosterone to estradiol is crucial).
Also, when untrained physicians prescribe testosterone they are not taking any action to balance estrogen during testosterone therapy, which when elevated is harmful to the prostate, cardiovascular system, and causes erectile dysfunction and mood swings in men. This is dangerous and Dr. Madeira has unfortunately seen many patients from doctors who are not prescribing testosterone at the correct dosage or making sure to block the estrogen from rising to unsafe blood levels during TRT.
If you suffer from the following or have any the below diagnosis then you should not receive testosterone therapy:
- Class III or IV Heart Failure
- Have a PSA blood test greater than 3 ng/ml without further evaluation to rule out prostate diseases (biopsy from your urologist and a written letter from your urologist clearing you for testosterone therapy).
- Kidney disease
- Liver Disease
- Untreated Sleep Apnea (please get a sleep study and use a C-PAP machine prior to TRT).
- Severe lower urinary tract symptoms
- A hematocrit greater than 50% or thick, viscous blood
- Prostate or breast cancers
- Younger than age 35
- Your testosterone levels are higher than 450 ng/dL in your blood on a range of 250 – 1,200 ng/dL for total testosterone then this therapy is contraindicated for you as well.
What’s different about TRT at Apollo Health Clinic?
Since a small number of men experience side effects associated with testosterone supplementation, Dr. Madeira has created a specialized, unique, safe and effective method of delivering treatment to get the best results safely from TRT without side effects. He has developed this holistic and comprehensive treatment plan after seeing a sub-group of men in a large treatment cohort who were unresponsive to the one-size-fits all approach of TRT offered by many other low-T clinics.
Therefore, all risk factors, genetic variants for clotting disorders and beyond, gastrointestinal PCR testing, urine organic acids, liver health & metabolism, kidney function, cardiovascular health, and micronutrient deficiencies are all tested, analyzed, interpreted, and treated appropriately prior to TRT and during treatment for optimal health and safety. (Testing is extra charge so we will test what is medically necessary on a case-by-case basis. We treat you, the patient). The outcomes our patients experience are increased strength & endurance, sexual benefits – more drive, harder erections, more frequent erections, increased energy for work, play, and sex, and better mental focus and energy.
Sources & recommended reading for all prospective and current TRT patients:
- More on the Prostate Gland from Dr. Morgentaler – Harvard Prostate Knowledge.
- A List of Antiandrogens in your environmental and from medications causing low testosterone.
- Life Extension Magazine: Destroying the Myth about Testosterone Replacement and Prostate Cancer. Dr. Abraham Morgentaler, MD, FACS
- The Mayo Clinic – Male Hypogonadism
- Please read this book: The New Testosterone Therapy by Dr. Friedman, PhD.